tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Servlet thread safety in Tomcat
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:45:39 GMT

Howdy,

>But how does Tomcat log the sessions variables PER request then? Is the
>session object independent of the servlet object, and is there one
>session object PER request?

The session object is independent of the servlet object.  There is NOT
one session per request (unless the user's session happens to consist of
a single request, but that's an unusual border case).  I suggest you
read the Servlet Specification to see how sessions are defined and
managed by the container.

If you feel like looking at the relevant tomcat source, ManagerBase is a
decent place to start, here:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/s
hare/org/apache/catalina/session/
and look for classes in the code that use the Manager interface, call
createSession(), etc.

Yoav Shapira