tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [Fwd: Catalina suspends for no reason?!?]
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:31:14 GMT

Howdy,

>so thought it's cut off, the process is exactly what catalina.sh
>started, so why doesnt catalina.sh stop it?

Catalina.sh shutdown connects to the shutdown port (8005 by default) and
tells the server to shut down.  Tomcat shuts down all its parts, and
that includes destroying servlets, filters, listeners as mandated by the
servlet specification.  But tomcat does not call, for example,
System.exit(), as that would break applications that embed tomcat.  The
JVM automatically shuts down daemon threads.

>My second question as follows, what exactly do you mean by 'my
>application or 3rd party libraries it uses'? Are you saying that if I
>use some external jars in my web applications WEB-INF/lib/ directory,
>then I have to make sure their use is discontinued, seperately from
>catalina.sh??

IF they create non-daemon threads, and they provide shutdown methods,
you have to call these methods.  If they create daemon threads, or call
their own shutdown methods (via finalizers for example), you don't need
to worry about it.  Same goes for your own code.

>Lastly, it seems as if making sure all threads are started as daemons
is
>the best way to go but I dont know how to do that?

If you're starting the thread yourself, call setDaemon(true) on it.  If
it's a 3rd party library, see above.

Yoav Shapira