tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [Fwd: Catalina suspends for no reason?!?]
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:11:01 GMT

Howdy,

>However, I have come to realise that on occaison, the 'stop' command
>does not work, and when I restart, I thereafter create two copies of
the
>original tomcat. this should not be possible because the first tomcat
>should be using the same port, and thus blocking the restart, but
>somehow, the restart does happen??
>
>When I stop the second process, then tomcat officially stops working,
>even though the original process is still runnning.
>
>Has this happened to anyone else?

You likely have non-daemon threads that prevent the JVM from existing.
Tomcat shuts its own threads down, including the listeners, so the ports
are available for other processes, and you can start another tomcat.
But the first JVM instance can't exit.

You are responsible for shutting down threads started by your
application or 3rd party libraries it uses.  Alternatively, make all
your threads daemons, or add shutdown code in a context listener or a
JVM shutdown hook.

Yoav Shapira