tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Run Tomcat 5 as Root or Tomcat User?
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:06:36 GMT

Howdy,

>My question is should I run Tomcat as root or should I create a Tomcat
User
>with the rights to start and stop tomcat and change ownership on ALL
Tomcat
>directories to that user?

Run as tomcat user that has permissions to stop/start tomcat and modify
directories under $CATALINA_HOME but nothing else.  It's a good general
security practice.

>I don't think Tomcat 5 comes with startup scripts.  I'm trying to write

There are startup scripts in the $CATALINA_HOME/bin directory.  There
have also been scripts posted to this list in the past that make tomcat
startup at system boot: you can search the list archives for those.

Yoav Shapira