tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Burgess, Jay S" <Jay.Burg...@ca.com>
Subject RE: Another Try at MySQL Connection Pooling
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:37:29 GMT
Oops.  Haven't had my coffee yet.  I read MySQL but thought SQL Server.
Obviously my DB is different than yours, so that may explain our
differences.

But either way, my previous post might still help.

Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: Merrill Cornish [mailto:merrill.cornish@earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 4:25 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Another Try at MySQL Connection Pooling

I'm running
  * Tomcat 5.0.18 running as a Wndows service,
  * MySQL 4.0.16 running as a Windows service, and
  * MySQL Connector/J 3.0.10 stable
all on Windows 2000 Server, which is where I'm also doing the testing
(i.e., on localhost).

A number of tomcat-user mailing list denizens have given me snippets of
XML to put in various places. Nothing worked.  So I tried following the
"MySQL Configuration" example from
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples
-howto.html. After all changes were made to server.xml, web.xml and
timesheet.xml (the <context> fragment under conf/Catalina/localhost), I
restarted Tomcat and tried to login (the first action that would have
had to touch the MySQL database).

I got the following errorPage:

> At Timesheet.Util.errorPage(Util.java:550) there occurred a
> java.lang.Exception: A fatal exception occurred while retrieving login
name and pass phrase because...

> At Timesheet.Util.getSqlConnection(Util.java:492) there occurred a
> java.lang.Exception: Unable to establish a MysqlDataSource connection
for ResourceLine name "jdbc/TimesheetsDB" >because...

> At org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:814)
there occurred a