tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jay Sachs <jay.sa...@riskmetrics.com>
Subject 4.1.x: relative external entities in TLDs?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:42:42 GMT
[Sorry if this has been asked before, please point me to an archived
discussion (and resolution, if any) if I'm being redundant -- I did try
searching the archives first.]

When processing TLDs, Tomcat doesn't properly handle relative
references for external entities. For example, if I have a TLD in
/WEB-INF/tlds/foo.tld, then the following

   <!ENTITY % BAR SYSTEM "bar.dtd">

ought to resolve to /WEB-INF/tlds/bar.dtd; but it doesn't, it resolves
relative to the current directory of the java process. Looking at the
source code, the processing of the TLDs is different than e.g. web.xml,
where a proper InputSource object, complete with a base URI, is used to
parse the file. Is there a reason for this difference in behavior,
perhaps related to the processing of TLDs in jar files?

Jay