tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Excel Mime problem
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:39:12 GMT
it should have nothing to do with tomcat in my view because you are not sending the excel data
down the output stream. In that case you would need to use the setContentType to the excel
application.

however, because you are generating a native XLS on the filesystem at your server side and
then just telling a html/jsp page or whatever to open it there is nothing more you need to
do other than use the direct URL to the file (as you have demonstrated with the html local
test)

you have made sure the excel file you generate on the server is valid?

i think the server/tomcat part is a red herring. Tomcat's role is finished long before the
window.open() call. This is a client side JavaScript action that just needs a valid URL -
nothing to do with Tomcat.

I think your problem lies in the URL you are requesting. Where are you storing the XLS file
on your filesystem? Within your Tomcat web application or somewhere else? Are you using a
web server in front of Tomcat? Is Tomcat running on a port? Also provide me the EXACT URL
that you pass to window.open

-----Original Message-----
From: pavan.k@tcs.com [mailto:pavan.k@tcs.com]
Sent: 06 February 2004 11:33
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Excel Mime problem

no i tried all the options..
from the server side,IE doesnt open the excel embbedded in a excel..

but to try i just saved the html on my computer and hardoced a test.xls to open when
i click the button..in this case,the excel opens in a excel embedded within the browser..

but when i call from the server thru a URL,it opens as a simple text file(with in the browser
window)..

i also tried creating that excel using sourforge.net excel utilities..but the problem
is not with the excel but with some content setting in the server i suppose..

http://yourserver.com/path/to/test.xls  -> opens excel contents as a text format within
the browser

but when i use the code window.open("test.xls") in a html page saved on my local machine it
opens
up with in a excel sheet embedded in the browser itself..

this is the behavior..i find this beahior in another tomcat  environment also..

Pavan Kumar
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: pavan.k@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com

"Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Crossley@QAS.com>

02/06/2004 06:20 AM

Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

cc

Subject
RE: Excel Mime problem

What happens if you type the URL of the XLS directly into IE?

http://yourserver.com/path/to/test.xls

Does Excel boot up in this case? IE should automatically recognise the .xls extension on the
file. If it does not then you probably need to look at your IE settings.

When you say the contents of the xls are printed to screen do you mean that BINARY excel is
printed OR do you mean that you have created a CSV comma separated format file and saved that
with a .XLS extension and that is what you get.

The window.open("http://yourserver.com/path/to/test.xls", "windowName") should work IF you
have the test.xls on the file system and the URL is correct. Try the absolute path instead
of relative also...