tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Excel Mime problem
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:20:53 GMT
What happens if you type the URL of the XLS directly into IE?

http://yourserver.com/path/to/test.xls

Does Excel boot up in this case? IE should automatically recognise the .xls extension on the
file. If it does not then you probably need to look at your IE settings.

When you say the contents of the xls are printed to screen do you mean that BINARY excel is
printed OR do you mean that you have created a CSV comma separated format file and saved that
with a .XLS extension and that is what you get.

The window.open("http://yourserver.com/path/to/test.xls", "windowName") should work IF you
have the test.xls on the file system and the URL is correct. Try the absolute path instead
of relative also...

-----Original Message-----
From: pavan.k@tcs.com [mailto:pavan.k@tcs.com]
Sent: 06 February 2004 10:51
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Excel Mime problem

Allistar,

let me clarify..i generate a excel file by some servlet when the user clicks a button on the
page.
and that i place in the root directory..when the refreshes(after the user hits the button),i
want to open
a window of the browser expecting that IE will open that in a excel embedded in the browser..

but IE is openeing that as a text..

so where should i keep the content type code....iam using a window.open(",,.,,/../test.xls")

i dont want to open a jsp in excel

Pavan Kumar
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: pavan.k@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com

"Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Crossley@QAS.com>
02/06/2004 05:02 AM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

To"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc
SubjectRE: Excel Mime problem

I've just done this today! :) The following JSP boots up in Excel..you need to set the content
type before ANYTHING else happens with the output stream

<%
response.setContentType("application/vnd.ms-excel");
response.addHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment;filename=myExcelTest.xls");
%>

1
5

ADC