tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat session/load capacity?
Date Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:49:56 GMT
Nope. You can an OOM exception. Because there is no way to detect in a JVM
when you'll run out of memory.

Like any web-application, the server strength depends as much on how the
application is architected and written as well as the load it will take.
Everything after that is trade offs. For example - if the web app is very
user specific - on login, you could load all the information about the user
into memory and never  query the database again for that user - but the
tradeoff is your webapp is not scalable with respect to memory. But instead
you could use the database for every tracnsaction - but then you need to make
sure your DB design is good/effecient and your db server can handle the load
since that might be the bottleneck and not your webapp.

-Tim