tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alex Chen <>
Subject Using HTTPS with keystore and trust store files
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:00:07 GMT
  I am trying to set up Tomcat for HTTPS connection with keystore and
truststore files.  I want to use Tomcat as the
web server so the port number is 80 and 443 for HTTP and HTTPS,
respectively. I am running Tomcat on Windows XP.

Here is the 'Connector' entry in %CATALINA_HOME%\conf\server.xml.
   <Connector port="443"
               acceptCount="100" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"
               clientAuth="true" sslProtocol="TLS"
               keystoreFile="server.ks" keystoreType="JCEKS"
               truststoreFile="server.ts" truststoreType="JCEKS" >

When I start tomcat, I get the following error: server.ks (The system cannot find the
file specif
        at Method)

I tried to put the file in different places, the user's home directory
in C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\,
but they all failed.

My questions are:
1. Where should the keystore file be stored if I set the 'keystoreFile'
attribute in Connector element?

2.  If I set 'clientAuth' to true, shouldn't there be a place to store
the the client's certificate, i.e. the truststore?
     Where do I specify the file that store the client's certificate?
     I saw the truststoreFile attribute in an example from
     It sets this attribute in a 'Factory' subelement.  But that is for
Tomcat 4.X.

Any help is appreciated.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: