tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: 5.0.16 and 5.0.18 international character support
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:56:57 GMT
Yes, exactly. Or you can output the response header to a log on the
server with response.getCharacterEncoding()

BTW, browsers pay higher priority to the HTTP header than the HTML
page's meta tag or xml declaration.

So I'm doubtful that they use the xml declaration's character-encoding.

Basically I think you'll see with the HTTP headers that the content-type
is set to 'text/html'.

If you do try setting it on the server to 'application/xhtml+xml', then
I suspect on most user's browsers, you would see a pop-up dialog asking
what to do with this document.

Adam

On 02/20/2004 05:32 PM Antonio Fiol Bonnín wrote:
> What Adam said was:
> Look in the response headers to see it.
>
> I think he *really* meant the response headers, not the html code.
>
> To do that on IE, you need a plugin called ieHTTPheaders or something
> like that.
>
> On Netscape/Mozilla, use LiveHTTPHeaders.
>
> Otherwise, if you are not on HTTPS, you can use a network sniffer.
>

> Antonio Fiol
>

> Trygve Hardersen wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply. Project never ran on 4.x, developed on 5.x starting
>> from 5.0.14. Using JSTL 1.1.
>> 5.0.14:
>>     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
>> charset=utf-8" />
>>
>> 5.0.18:
>>     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
>> charset=utf-8" />
>>
>> That is equal. However, the characters æøå are in plain text in the page,
>> but IE displays them incorrectly. I can't find any difference in the
>> source
>> of the pages between 5.0.14 and later, which makes me wonder if the
>> problem
>> is IE oriented. Thing is though, that IE displays everything correct on
>> 5.0.14..... Installing Netscape now, Opera does not support xhtml with
>> script elements. Idea?
>>
>> milx

>>> 5.0.18, but now the characters are Chinese-like (unreadable for a

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 Debian