tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: 5.0.16 and 5.0.18 international character support
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:42:40 GMT
On 02/20/2004 01:17 PM Trygve Hardersen wrote:
> I'm having a silly problem with 5.0.16 and 5.0.18, regarding the
> Scandinavian characters æ, ø and å (probably others to). I've developed a
> project using tomcat and struts, where both message resources and actual
> data in the database contain these characters. Using 5.0.14 and prior, I've
> not paid attention to the characters; just used plain text for both
> resources and data. This has worked out just fine, regardless of user locale
> (and thereby the lang option of the page), the characters have been rendered
> properly. Attempting to stay up-to-date, I upgraded to 5.0.16 and later
> 5.0.18, but now the characters are Chinese-like (unreadable for a
> Scandinavian). Anyone knows the cause of this?
>
> The pages are all UTF-8, xhtml and there is no difference in handling of
> message resources and model data.

Are you sure about that? Could it be that you actually did have this
problem with tomcat 5.0.x but just didn't notice? When did you upgrade
from tomcat 4.x?

There are issues going from tomcat 4 to 5 that could affect this, but
none that I know of, just from 5.0.14 -> 16.

Check the character encoding of your pages in the browser. Look in the
response headers to see it. What is it & what do you want it to be?

Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 Debian