tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: Apache/Tomcat/Struts Certification Proposal
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:34:55 GMT
On 02/19/2004 06:20 PM Yan Lin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if anyone has thought of this.  From my
> research, I don't think it's possible for anyone to
> get certified on Apache products at this point.  But
> since there are so many companies looking for people
> with these kind of skills, it would be nice to have an
> recognized entity like Apache Foundation to help the
> companies in determining who is the best candidate.
>
> For example, I have been working on a lot of projects
> with Tomcat and Struts, but without a certification,
> it's kind of hard to convince employers that I have
> solid work experience in these areas, especially when
> the potential employers are not that technical.  I
> know there are other ways you can show your skills(I
> have project on sourceforge), but when facing a pile
> of resume, no one is going to open up a browser
> window....
>
> Maybe I am dreaming of San Francisco beach again this
> morning, but anyone agrees with me that this is
> something that we need?

FWIW, I think certification is a waste in terms of the amount of
learning that it forces on the developer.

Perhaps in many cases it does help the recruiter, but firstly I think
that recruiters who need to see certification of something in an IT
candidate are not doing their job properly, and secondly I think the
whole process is a waste of resources, siphoning off money and time from
people who usually have better things to do.

So please, no to Apache certifications!

Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2