tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joan Jesús Pujol Espinar <>
Subject Using JAASRealm to authentificate with a NIS
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:02:27 GMT

I need to use BASIC authentification but with a NIS. I try to do it with
the JAASRealm. It's the correct solution?

What I do is:

Add the Realm in the server.xml
      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm"

appName="UsuarisReal" debug="99"/>
Export the enviorement variable JAVA_OPTS with

And the Configuration file UsuarisRealm is:

UsuarisRealm { required debug=true

Add a security-constraint in a context of an application:
                <web-resource-name> Prova area autentificada
                <http-method> DELETE </http-method>
                <http-method> GET </http-method>
                <http-method> PUT </http-method>
                <http-method> POST </http-method>
                <auth-method> BASIC </auth-method>
                <realm-name>Autentificacio usuaris </realm-name>

But this doesn't work.  The error that I recive is  Error 500: Config
Error: It isn't possible to do control acces with an authentificated
principal (translated from spanish)

What I do wrong?

And  it's possible that in the log there isn't any information about
Realm with a debug=99?

PD: Excusme for my english level

Joan Jesús Pujol Espinar
Tècnic de Sistemes