tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Josh Rehman <jreh...@citysearch.com>
Subject Re: Multiple instances of Tomcat - why would you do it ?
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:40:52 GMT
If the instances talk to each other via RMI, it's likely that the
original developers intended each instance to be run on a different box.
They may have thought this would positively affect scalability.

It may also be that they partitioned the app such that each container
has different priveledges and responsibilities, and therefore it made
sense to seperate them and configure them seperately.

It may also be that the original developer was testing a theory and so
did it that way.

It may also be that the developers were being paid per CPU.

It may also be that one of the architects was driven mad by alien space
bats, and so designed this system to prepare himself for leaving this
planet.

The last one seems most likely to me. However, I could be wrong, so I'd
ask the original developer.

--
Josh Rehman
citysearch.com