tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Josh Rehman <jreh...@citysearch.com>
Subject Re: Best practice question: where to place project libraries
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 03:40:16 GMT
Justin Ruthenbeck wrote:
> I haven't used the META-INF/context.xml convention, so I'm not too
> familiar with it.  Conceptually, it's questionable whether a webapp
> should be able to modify container configuration ... even if it's just
> configuration for that one app.  Practically it may be useful, but it's
> a bluring of the lines of responsibility between the development and
> deployment -- two things which really should be separate.

The question has been answered ("yes, a webapp can alter the
container"), and yes, the container should be modifiable by the
developer, but only under certain circumstances. I would not allow even
the META-INF/context.xml convention on a production server, for example.
However it's quite handy during development, and extending the
convention would be handier still.

I am not aware of a way to prevent Tomcat from respecting the
META-INF/context.xml convention, but if there was a way I'd expect it to
be mentioned here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/printer/deployer-howto.html

And if it existed it could apply to deployment of shared libraries, too.

--
Josh Rehman
citysearch.com