tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Antonio Fiol BonnĂ­n <fiol.bon...@terra.es>
Subject Re: Help! Config of multiple hosts and JVM garbage.
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:36:11 GMT
Hi Sergio,

1) public_html would be enough, AFAICT.

3) What I meant is: if you have 512Mb RAM, set your JAVA_OPTS=-Xmx256m
(as I understand that you may have half your RAM free when Tomcat is not
running). The idea about buying more RAM was a kind of a joke,
especially because I did not know how much RAM you had. 512Mb should be
enough in most cases, if you do not have memory leaks in your apps. If
you do, no amount of RAM will be enough.

Watch your "top" / "free" / whatever to see if you are eating up all RAM
and start swapping. If you do, and it is not a transient peak situation,
you are "eating too much", and should lower the -Xmx to some lower value.

If your apps need more memory, you will get OutOfMemoryError in your
catalina.out. In that case, raise your -Xmx.

And yes, you understood well, if you have to lower it, and also to raise
it, that means RAM is not enough ;-)

Yours,

Antonio Fiol