tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John B. Moore" <...@microps.com>
Subject Re: System.out.println, Where art thou?
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:59:09 GMT
Sometimes it is threaputic to face one's stupidity...

Anyway, it was pilot error...  I use JBuilder (which has an embedded
Tomcat) for my development and in versions prior to the latest (JB9 and
before) the url pattern was

  http://localhost:8080/servercontext/servletname

..in JB10 this changed to ...

http://localhost:8080/servletname

.. I had gotten use to this "pattern" and my servlet context and name
were very nearly identical.. so I had entered what amounted to....

      http://serverhere/servercontext

  ..instead of getting a "resource not found" or somesuch...  it loaded
because Tomcat loaded

     http://serverhere/servercontext/index.jsp

...which in my application was NEVER loaded by itself and only should be
loaded by the controller servlet after extensive setup and
configuration..  The error was just enough "legitimate" looking that it
did not flag what was really happening.. and I never clued in on  what
was really happening until I had gutted my controller to load a simple
"html" form and instead the index.jsp still loaded...

    <sign>

    John..