tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: [Repost] Tomcat logging
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:59:14 GMT
On 02/09/2004 10:07 AM Marcel Stor wrote:
>>What are you using to log? The java.utils.logging framework
>>will log to
>>anywhere you define in its configuration. By default, as a file
>>java0.log in the tomcat user's home directory.
>

> I know. And if the app is started one would have to a runtime parameter
> to define the corresponding properties file with all the logging
> configuration...
> However, if the Sun framework is used withing a webapp that uses a
> FileLogger (as defined in the context) I would expect that logging
> messages end up in the context's log and not in catalina.out???

I'm afraid it's a black hole for me too as far as info is concerned. I
know how to set up and run log4j or java.util.logging so I can write log
statements, control the logging levels etc.

I also know how to configure log4j, java.util.logging and tomcat5 to
create log files, rotatable or not or max size etc.

I just don't know how the input and output are linked by tomcat. If at
all. It just hasn't climbed far enough up my list of priorities to
warrant looking into it further.

I suspect that it's got something to do with org.apache.commons.logging,
but that is just a wild hunch.

Adam
--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2