tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: [Repost] Tomcat logging
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 08:35:25 GMT
On 02/09/2004 07:51 AM Marcel Stor wrote:
> explains the new context descriptors. I still don't quite get it. It
> says "...which would normally be found in the main server configuration
> file...". Well, does this mean I can (have to?) remove all my context
> descriptions from server.xml and place them into individual files? Or do
> I need both? Or??

You only ever have one context description per app, and it can be in
server.xml or in a seperate file.

> What really concerns me:
> Each of my contexts has a FileLogger and a AccessLogValve defined.
> Hoever, at startup only the valve log is created. With TC4 each
> context's FileLogger log was created and contained entries saying that
> the context had successfully been loaded etc. Why is the log not created
> anymore?
> Also, one app uses the standard Java logging framework. All the log
> entries end up in catalina.out instead of the app's own context log. How
> to resolve this?

What are you using to log? The java.utils.logging framework will log to
anywhere you define in its configuration. By default, as a file
java0.log in the tomcat user's home directory.

I'm not sure what tomcat does with its FileLoggers and catalina.out.

Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 Debian