tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Josh Rehman <jreh...@citysearch.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Loads Deleted Context?
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2004 06:49:33 GMT
Thanks a bunch for the response. Comments below.

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

>Howdy,
>

>>Thanks. BTW, why can't server.xml be reloaded?  Here's part of your
>>

>commit:
>
>Because many of the components defined/declared in server.xml don't have
>restart support.  There'd be significant code changes to support this.
>And the downtime would be equivalent to a normal server restart, so
>there's no advantage to reloading server.xml.

I would not expect that all parts of server.xml be restartable, just the
Contexts.

>>note that "directory" is should be "directly". It might also be clearer
>>about *where* context elts should be placed.
>>

>Corrected/enhanced, thanks.

Glad to help!

>>Again, I think this is a bad way to configure software. "Everything in
>>one place" is the quite reasonable mantra espoused in _The Practical
>>

>I agree: that one place for your web application is your WAR.  It should
>be completely self-contained.  I dislike putting anything in server.xml
>for my webapp.  It's not server.xml for all your webapp.  But obviously
>we disagree on that, and this is fine because tomcat is flexible enough
>to support either way.

Is META-INF/context.xml a standard way to provide a default context in a
war? Or is it tomcat specific?

>>Perhaps there is some technical limitation to reloading server.xml. but
>>I can't see it. Remy has said it's a "hack" but of course that doesn't
>>really say anything. You are just trading one hierarchical data
>>structure for another (directories for nested XML elts).
>>

>No, you're doing a lot more.
>

>>(I am looking into this but I can't get tomcat built, and no-one on the
>>dev list has replied to my build questions yet. When I have more time
>>tonight I'll try again.)
>>

>Building tomcat 5 is trivial.  Just checkout the source and run the ant
>file (default target).  It will download all dependencies and build
>everything for you.  I do it routinely from a scratch, completely clean
>environment, without any problems (it takes about 3-4 minutes on my
>box).  If you have problems post them here (in another thread).

I won't bother posting in another thread; essentially, I set base.path
to a relative directory, and the build broke rather badly. That script
is really cool otherwise.

>Yoav Shapira

Is this for real? :)

Cheers,