tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Vitor Buitoni <vitor.buit...@digitro.com.br>
Subject Memory usage raises when reloading a context
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 11:57:58 GMT
Every time that i reload a context (through the tomcat manager) the
memory usage of the tomcat grows up a bit, and it doesn't go down again.
Every time the context is reloaded the memory usage raises, until the
jvm begins to throw OutOfMemory errors. Then i have to restart tomcat
(of course).

Although this isn't a big problem in a production environment, where the
applications keep running without reloads, here in our development
environment this is becoming a problem, since every time we make a
modification we have to reload the application.

I downloaded jvmstat to monitor the jvm, and i noticed that when an
application is reloaded, the overall heap usage increases and the jvm gc
moves a lot of objects to the heap's permanent area. I think that this
might be the main problem. Because even if the old area increases, it
will sometime get garbage collected and the memory freed. And this i
could confirm using jvmstat. But the objects that are in the permanent
area will never be garbage collected.

Is this behaviour normal? Or maybe it's a problem with my specific
configuration?

I'm using tomcat 5.0.16,  sun jvm 1.4.2_03-b02, redhat 9.

Thanks!

Vitor