tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kok Wei, Koh" <kok...@imocha.com.my>
Subject Re: Load Balancing Problem...Urgent
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2004 09:33:53 GMT
Hi Nicholas,

It is great to see undergraduates students (especially from Malaysia),
using Tomcat in their projects ;-) High five dude!

Ok first of all, if you're building a web application you may want to
consider placing Apache 1.3.x in front of your Tomcat instance, to serve
a all static contents such as html/images and proxy all tomcat related
stuffs to the Tomcat instances.

Why not go with the latest:-
     * apache 1.3.29
     * tomcat 4.1.29
     * and the mod_jk connector

You may find a very good tutorial on how to setup load balanced Tomcat
servers at the following URL:-

     http://www.ubeans.com/tomcat/index.html

To answer your question...

<snip>
how can I send the request from load balancer connector to the connector
in that selected server?

After the selected server has finished the process, how can the server
send back the response to load balancer and then the load balancer sends
back to user?
</snip>

An example of a complete flow of a request to a web application eg:
http://www.xxx.com/myapp/start.do is ...

     User -> Apache -> Tomcat -> Apache -> User

The way Apache determines if a particular request is to be proxied to
Tomcar, is via the JkMount directive in the httpd.conf, see below:

     JkMount /myapp/* loadbalancer

where "loadbalancer" is a worker of type "lb".

Please go through the above URL to find out more.
Good luck!