tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Yiannis Mavroukakis <yian...@jaguarfreight.com>
Subject RE: Another Try at MySQL Connection Pooling
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:08:34 GMT
As far as the listening bit is concerned why not just limit mySQL to listen
on localhost then?
Do you get better performance out of named pipes?

-----Original Message-----
From: Merrill Cornish [mailto:merrill.cornish@earthlink.net]
Sent: 11 February 2004 15:52
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Another Try at MySQL Connection Pooling

Jay,

Thanks for your comments.

I think the problem may be that I don't have the MySQL Connector/J jar in
the common/lib.  When using DriverManager, it worked fine in jre/lib/ext,
which is one of the places the MySQL documentation recommended.  I need to
try again with it in the new location.

Also under DriverManager, the named pipe access worked as advertised. The
MySQL instance will be dedicated to my timesheet application and running on
the same machine as Tomcat.  For security reasons, I don't want MySQL
accepting commands over TCP/IP.  There is a my.cnf initialization parameter
which tells MySQL to not even start up its TCP/IP listener and used named
pipes instead.  This obviously only works when MySQL is on the same machine
as the application, but that's my situation.

The named resource factory stuff was carried over from what worked under
DriverManager.  However, if may have been redundant, but harmless, under
DriverManger too, and I just didn't notice.

One general problem I'm having with the document I can find is that it tends
to simply say, "do THIS..." without explaining how "THIS" is doing what it's
supposed to be doing.  As a result, I'm having trouble reasoning as to what
should and should not work. Instead, I'm reduced to plugging in the examples
and hoping they work.

Merrill

service is powered by MessageLabs.

If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient. Jaguar Freight Services and any of its subsidiaries
each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.
except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized
to state them to be the views of any such entity.
service is powered by MessageLabs.