tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Yiannis Mavroukakis <yian...@jaguarfreight.com>
Subject RE: Installing Tomcat 5 from JPackage
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 11:43:18 GMT

The only advantage is that tomcat is installed as a "service" i.e.
you do a /sbin/service tomcat start or whatever the rpm has in mind..
Plus permissions and directory location.
But apart from that, I would personally never choose the rpm installation
over the tarball. The perceived benefits aren't that important for me to
mess around installing whatever else is required by the package definition..

Yiannis

-----Original Message-----
From: Vitor Buitoni [mailto:vitor.buitoni@digitro.com.br]
Sent: 04 February 2004 11:19
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Installing Tomcat 5 from JPackage

To be able to install tomcat rpm package, you must install a lot of
other packages that tomcat depends on, first.
I already did this once, and for me it was very time consuming and it
wasn't easy at all. This is because JPackager can't provide some
packages as binary packages, because of copyright restrictions. So you
have to download the "nosrc" rpm from jpackage, download the source code
from the software site (e.g. java.sun.com) and build the rpm from the
scratch. Then you can install this rpm.
The whole process might be very painful, at least for me it was, since i
had to learn something about the rpm creation process. :-)

So, the REAL question is :
- Does anybody know the advantage of installing a tomcat rpm package??

Joe Tseng wrote:

>I recently installed Fedore Core 1 and was advised to install Tomcat 5
>from JPackage using yum.  When I tried to install to do this I got an
>error like this:
>
>Resolving dependencies
>...identicla dependency loop exceeded
>package tomcat5 needs jaas (not provided)
>package tomcat5 needs jaf >= 0:1.0.1 (not provided)
>package tomcat5 needs javamail >= 0:1.3 (not provided)
>package
>[snip]
>
>Any useful assistance in helping out a noob with installation is
appreciated.

service is powered by MessageLabs.

If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient. Jaguar Freight Services and any of its subsidiaries
each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.
except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized
to state them to be the views of any such entity.
service is powered by MessageLabs.