tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Erik G. Dybdahl" <gront...@yahoo.no>
Subject Hot to get Tomcat 5 to log to catalina.out instead of console?
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:25:22 GMT
When starting tomcat with the file startup.bat, all output
goes to the console (including log4j debug output from my web app)
I have to use cygwin, and use sh startup.sh, in order to have it sent to
catalina.out.
Is this a bug, or a misconfig?

I have placed log4j and commons-logging jars in common/lib, and
this log4j.properties in common/classes:

log4j.rootLogger=INFO, RollFile
log4j.appender.RollFile=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.RollFile.File=/logs/tomcat50.log
log4j.appender.RollFile.MaxFileSize=1000KB
log4j.appender.RollFile.MaxBackupIndex=4
log4j.appender.RollFile.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.RollFile.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p (%F:%L) - %m%n
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase=INFO, RollFile

But no matter what I do, debug outputs and stack traces only go to
the console.

Thanks,
erik