tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Ramsey <david_l_ram...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Redeployment of War over and over Supported?
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:29:56 GMT
My personal experience has shown both. Shops that plan for enterprise
wide services tend to get large servers and host multiple webapps on
one container on such machines. This lends itself well to centralized
administration, etc.

Shops that add webapps incrementally or at the departmental levels tend
to get a machine, install a container and install the webapp on that
container. This then becomes a dedicated server for that application.

Really big enterprises will run one virtual server with multiple actual
servers each with an instance of a container in a web farm/load
balancing type setup. This usually sees multiple webapps per container
too and the multiple machines are just part of the redundancy mechanics
for the enterprise applications.