tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nadia Kunkov" <nad...@parkerglobal.com>
Subject Run Tomcat 5 as Root or Tomcat User?
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:02:26 GMT
Hi, I installed Tomcat 5.0.16 as root.  Now it means that I have to start and stop it being
root unless I change ownership on a number of directories including $TOMCAT_HOME/bin.
My question is should I run Tomcat as root or should I create a Tomcat User with the rights
to start and stop tomcat and change ownership on ALL Tomcat directories to that user?
I don't think Tomcat 5 comes with startup scripts.  I'm trying to write a startup script but
inside the script I have to 'su root' and that means I'll be prompted to enter the password.
 I'd like Tomcat to start at boot so I need to avoid the password prompt.
What is the proper way of doing it since it's my first time.....?
Thanks for your help.

NK