tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Evans <dsev...@berndtgroup.net>
Subject Re: Alternatives to J2EE Authentication
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2004 04:31:18 GMT
Having just researched this, here's what i found.
Using a javax.servlet.Filter works very well.
As you say, You check the session for an attribute value that indicates
authentication. in its absence you use a RequestDispatcher to
forward to a login servlet which checks for four cases:
1. no request parameters, display logon form
2. invalid request parameters, display errors
3. unable to authenticate with valid parameters, display error
4. parameters authenticate, forward to home page
Thanks to Rick Bay on the struts-users list for this idea.
along with option 3 on this email.
http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg24504.html

This is a fully featured, xml file configurable filter
that i will eventually use as my solution:
http://securityfilter.sourceforge.net/

but for fun and understanding i wrote (cut and pasted bits from the web
really) this one, as a test:

public final class AuthFilter implements Filter {

  public void doFilter(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response,
                       FilterChain chain)
	throws IOException, ServletException {

     boolean auth = false;

     if (request instanceof HttpServletRequest) {
	HttpSession session =
		((HttpServletRequest)request).getSession();
	String path = ((HttpServletRequest) request).getPathInfo();
	Boolean authAttr =
                (Boolean) session.getAttribute("authenticated");
	if (authAttr != null) auth = authAttr.booleanValue();
     }
     if (auth) {
        chain.doFilter(request,  response);
	return;
     }
     else {
        RequestDispatcher dispatcher =
		request.getRequestDispatcher("/login.do");
	dispatcher.forward (request, response);
	return;
    }
  }