tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Parsons Technical Services" <parsonstechni...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: What's the problem with Tomcat 4.1.29 and Switch?
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:42:20 GMT
Okay, so I learned something. I was right but also wrong. As I said "my"
understanding which now is New and Improved. Use ifs not switches on jsp.
Got to write that down somewhere .....

Sorry George.

Doug

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 10:22 PM
Subject: Re: What's the problem with Tomcat 4.1.29 and Switch?

Thanks.  I wish Damon Hougland and Aaron Tavistock knew that before they
published their Sun sanctioned book.  It would have saved me a lot of
frustration.  I really expected Sun's CORE books to be better then Wrox.

Their example was this which failed:

<% switch (day) { %>
<% case 1: %>
   <% break; %>
<% case 2: %>
   <% break; %>
<% default: %>
   <% break; %>
<% } %>

--
George Hester
__________________________________
"Carl Howells" <chowells@janrain.com> wrote in message
> Because the switch statement has different syntax.
>
>    <% switch (day) { %>
>     <% case 1: // and so on...
>    %>
>
> Could be translated to:
>    switch (day) {
>    out.print("\n ");
>    case 1: // and so on...
>
> Which is clearly illegal syntax.  There is no equivalent illegal form of
> any other block construct, which is why this only shows up with switch
> statements.
>
> George Hester wrote:
> > Well according to Core JSP by Damon Hougland and Aaron Tavistock © 2001
Prentice Hall (pgs 26-28) it should work.

> > For example this works:
> >
> >   <% if (day == 1 | day == 7){ %>
> >    It's the weekend!</font>
> >   <% } else { %>
> >    Still in the work week.</font>
> >   <% } %>
> >
> > then why not the same for the switch?  Note if breaking these tags up
for the if - then - else (as shown above) like in the switch I showed you
then by transference we'd have to conclude that the above if - then - else
wouldn't work either.  But it does.