tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yansheng Lin" <yansheng....@silvacom.com>
Subject RE: encoding-problem with tomcat, jk2, apache
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:31:37 GMT
Oh hi, I researched on the following problme last night.  And like you said, I
could display my Japanese UTF-8 encoded file with Tomcat correctly, but not with
Apache-Tomcat-jk2.  Somehow the charset was still iso-8859-1.  I couldn't figure
out why apache didn't use the UTF-8 encoding defined in httpd.conf:
	AddCharset UTF-8       .utf8

So my quick fix was to change the default charset to UTF-8:
	AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

After that I could see in my header, the charset is utf-8.  And I could view the
Japanese hiragan's with Apache.  But since all my pages were display under
utf-8, the font was kind of screwed up(utf-8 has less font support).  So I don't
think I found the solution to your problem.  And I couldn't spend more time on
that. Let me know if you get this one figured out.

Have fun!

-Yan

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Stefan Burkard
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 5:18 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: encoding-problem with tomcat, jk2, apache

hi folks

ok, i've found a tool that shows the whole http-header of my requests:

if i connect directly on tomcat (port 8080) there is a
content-type-attribute in the header that says just "text/html".

if i connect via apache/mod_jk2 the attribute has the data "text/html;
charset=ISO-8859-1" what is completely wrong. it should be utf-8, not
iso-8859-1.

cocoon automatically inserts the code
the html-page.

so the resulting question: why has apache/jk2 the wrong encoding? is
there a default-encoding that is used if nothing other is specified?

greetings
stefan