tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yansheng Lin" <yansheng....@silvacom.com>
Subject RE: [ot] why tomcat is called tomcat?
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:22:39 GMT
Agreed.

OS/2, DB2 to name a few.  Sorry, big blue:).

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 9:36 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: [ot] why tomcat is called tomcat?

>friends:0 talking about it.  I am asking mostly in terms of marketing.
For
>example, most of people on this list would think Apache sounds much
better
>than IIS.

I certainly like the name Apache better than I do IIS.  But be careful
jumping to broader marketing conclusions without grounding them in
research, i.e. representative polls and surverys.  Personally, I tend to
like names with meaning, like Apache, Tomcat, Weblogic, Hibernate,
better than generic names like Internet Information Server,
[CompanyName] Workflow Engine, etc, because the former names are more
interesting, intriguing, make you think a bit.

Yoav Shapira

and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom
it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by
anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately