tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yansheng Lin" <yansheng....@silvacom.com>
Subject RE: Apache/Tomcat/Struts Certification Proposal
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:59:09 GMT
I just thought it would help people with real knowledge to stand out and have a
better chance.  It's just not fair for people with better understanding of the
software(I believe you can get a IIS certification, why not Apache).  And it
would help the Apache Foundation as well.  With the money they get from people
taking the exams, they can have way better support as a whole.  After all,
software programming is not only about working in front of a computer all day
anymore.

The real challenge is how the whole process can be administrated.  Ah, I don't
think it's possible anyways with current open source development structure.  But
just thought it would be an interesting idea.
-Yan

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Hardy [mailto:ahardy.struts@cyberspaceroad.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 1:35 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Apache/Tomcat/Struts Certification Proposal

FWIW, I think certification is a waste in terms of the amount of
learning that it forces on the developer.

Perhaps in many cases it does help the recruiter, but firstly I think
that recruiters who need to see certification of something in an IT
candidate are not doing their job properly, and secondly I think the
whole process is a waste of resources, siphoning off money and time from
people who usually have better things to do.

So please, no to Apache certifications!

Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2