tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yansheng Lin" <yansheng....@silvacom.com>
Subject RE: [ot] why tomcat is called tomcat?
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:32:15 GMT
Did he have to get the name approved?  Was he working for Sun?  Did he know
tomcat is going to be so popular.

What do people outside of computer world think of the name 'tomcat'?  Like
someone who doesn't know what it does and just hear a bunch of his computer
friends:0 talking about it.  I am asking mostly in terms of marketing.  For
example, most of people on this list would think Apache sounds much better than
IIS.

-Yan

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 8:52 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: [ot] why tomcat is called tomcat?

Howdy,
James Duncan Davidson, the first tomcat developer, came up with it
thinking of the animal tomcat which is excellent at taking care of and
fending for itself, a highly self-sufficient creature.  (This was in the
very early stages of J2EE in general, remember).

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom
it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by
anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately