tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Matt Raible" <m...@raibledesigns.com>
Subject Slow Java app on Tomcat with a 667 MHz CPU
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 15:56:37 GMT
I have developed a webapp that uses basic open source stuff (struts,
hibernate, etc.).  I've been developing/testing it on the following
platforms - where it works fine and runs lickedy-split:

OS X 10.3, 1.33 GHz, 1 GB RAM
Windows XP, 2.6 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM
Windows 2000 Server, 1 GHz, 512 MB RAM
Windows 2000 Server, 1.5 GHz, 256 MB RAM

All of these are running Tomcat 4.1.29 or 4.1.12.  I recently tried to
deploy it to the "test web server" at my client and it runs dreadfully
slow.  It takes almost 30 seconds to load a page.  The main difference
is that the test web server has a 667 MHz CPU.  It has 512 MB RAM, and
we upgraded it to 1 GB, but that didn't help at all.

I've recommended we get a faster CPU for the test web server, but I
wanted to confirm that this could be the source of the problem.  On this
server, and the 1.5 GHz/256 MB RAM machine, IIS is integrated with
Tomcat.  All machines are running JDK 1.4.0 or above.

Thanks,

Matt