tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yansheng Lin" <yansheng....@silvacom.com>
Subject RE: access log
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:36:30 GMT
Hi, How about just log errors and warnings to the db?  So for other types of log
entry, it will still be file based; but when there is an error or a warning, in
log4j, you set it up so it writes to two places.  I don't notice any performance
issue with this setup. But just want to confirm.

Thanks!

-Yan

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 11:53 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: access log

Howdy,

>re: asynchronous DB writes - Tim pointed out the JDBCAccessLogValve. I
>assume you are thinking that this would quickly become a bottleneck?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  Writing the access log valve should be
very very quick, very very scalable, or it easily becomes a bottleneck.
Remember, for example, that a single page request with 9 images is 10
access log writes.  10 users asking for that page concurrently means 100
concurren access log writes, etc etc.

Yoav Shapira

and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom
it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by
anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately