tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yansheng Lin" <yansheng....@silvacom.com>
Subject RE: access log
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:57:52 GMT
I agree, a filter would be good, but still, to get it right might take some
serious tuning.

If you are not doing this for security/alerts, you can go and get an access log
analyzer.  There are tones of analyzers out there.  If all fails, /xusage is
still going to be there.  And if your website becomes hugely successful, at that
point of course you can get someone to develop it:).

-Yan

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Hardy [mailto:ahardy.struts@cyberspaceroad.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 1:23 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: access log

Hi Yan,
I'm only writing the access logs to a DB, I'm not too interested in
keeping the normal logs as long as everything runs peachy.

There is actually a small comment in the JDBCAccessLogValve noting that
it would be good to develop a filter on the mime type - with which one
could just drop all the image request log statements, for instance.

However all the fuss about bottlenecks is all pie-in-the-sky for me,
unless my website becomes hugely successful. At that point of course
I'll just hire someone to develop it ;)

Adam

On 02/02/2004 11:36 PM Yansheng Lin wrote:
> Hi, How about just log errors and warnings to the db?  So for other types of
log
> entry, it will still be file based; but when there is an error or a warning,
in
> log4j, you set it up so it writes to two places.  I don't notice any
performance
> issue with this setup. But just want to confirm.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Yan

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 Debian