tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Tulley" <JTUL...@novell.com>
Subject RE: OutOfMemoryError with Seemingly Plenty of Memory
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:22:26 GMT
Do you edit the web.xml of your web application?  That will cause Tomcat
to redeploy the application.  We had an application that would do this
during their installation (so, only one time really), but I can imagine
an application that might be trying to dynamically deploy servlets and
set their mappings in the web.xml.  I'm guessing this is NOT your
situation though, since you'd probably already be thinking along the
lines of redeploys.

>>> sledgehammer2010@yahoo.com 1/27/04 10:52:34 AM >>>
Hmmm...we don't do hot deploys, but the different generations are
definitely something to look at.

Thanks!
Dhruva

--- Jeff Tulley <JTULLEY@novell.com> wrote:
> A while back somebody mentioned that if you continuously redeploy a
> web
> application, the symptoms you are mentioning occur.  This is because
> of
> all of the objects that are stored in the "permanent generation"
> memory.
>  This permanent generation runs out of space, even though the new
> generation and old generation heaps still have room to grow.  (The
> permanent generation's size is a fixed percentage of the total
> memory).
> I do not know if this is something that can or is fixed in the most
> recent builds and latest major version (5) of Tomcat.
>
> On NetWare, we have a view into the memory where we can see how big
> the
> perm gen is and what percentage of it is allocated.  I do not know
if
> such a thing exists on other platforms though.  If it does, I
> certainly
> have not yet found it.
>
> Searching the archives (at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com ), it looks
> like it could have something to do with the classloader layout of
> your
> application:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=107046034505454&w=2
>

> >Although the possibility of a memory leak (sorry--unintended object
> >retention) has not been completely ruled out (yes, I'm running the
> >applications through a profiler), I'm quite puzzled that this
> problem
> >would occur when, by all indications, memory use is nowhere near
the
> >limit.

Jeff Tulley  (jtulley@novell.com)
(801)861-5322
Novell, Inc., The Leading Provider of Net Business Solutions
http://www.novell.com