tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Anderson" <mmand...@novell.com>
Subject Re: LogSetter in <Context>
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:51:37 GMT
This probably is an issue with the JVM on NetWare.  Unfortunately,
because of the underlying filesystem, when a flush is called in Java,
all the JVM can do is schedule a flush with the filesystem.  This sounds
like the behavior you are seeing where you have to wait several minutes
to see anything in the filesystem.  The only way I've been able to see a
complete log is to either log it to the logger screen (which is special
in it's own right because of all of the other stuff that is intermingled
in) or perform the behavior that causes the error and then shutdown
tomcat which forces the logs to be flushed and closed.

Mike Anderson

>>> wbarker@wilshire.com 1/22/2004 11:38:13 PM >>>
Ok, I don't have access to NetWare, but trying your example on Windows
works
fine.  The logs are flushed as soon as the error occurs.  The only
change I
made was to log as well in ClassNotFoundException (so I don't actually
have
to set up a database :).

This suggests that the problem is really either with you DB vendor
(unlikely, but I can't rule out that the Driver isn't doing something
funky
:), or with your JVM vendor (e.g. Writer.flush isn't really doing what
it is
supposed to do).

Also I was testing with the CVS HEAD (aka 3.3.2-dev nightly).  The CVS
logs
don't show any real changes in the logging code from this and
3.3.1(a),
however.  If you are feeling frustrated enough, you could try
downloading
the nightly and see if there is any difference :).