tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Oscar Carrillo <tom...@daydream.stanford.edu>
Subject RE: Linux Kernel 2.6.0 success
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2004 01:50:34 GMT
There are advancements that may prove beneficial.

It should be much better in handling threads. From what I remember, orders
of magnitude better. I think hundreds of thousands of threads can now be
handled nicely. I imagine that this would translate into better handling
of multiple connections to Apache and Tomcat. If I remember correctly,
this is due to the new O1 scheculer. Also, memory handling is supposed to
be much improved.

Handling of multiple processors is supposed to be much improved so that
should translate into a better server in all respects. It's also a better
desktop environment too, because it handles multiple processes much
better so it feels more responsive to the user. I can vouch for this, as I
can burn a DVD and play a FPS game under wine without noticing.

I'm not planning on doing any benchmarks, unless someone knows of or
provides me with a war file to deploy and test.

BTW, today I added to the mix Postgresql-7.4.1 via JNDI
with dbcp-commons-pool.

I'll be putting all that I've learned about installing the aforementioned
on my page within the next couple of days at:

http://daydream.stanford.edu/tomcat/install_web_services.html

Oscar