tomcat-users mailing list archives

From PamelaGardi...@hartfordlife.com
Subject Re: Running Tomcat 4.1.2.7 from Service vs DOS
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:29:41 GMT

Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else runs into this same
problem.

We upgraded the JDK to version 1.4.2_03 and installed a new service
pointing to that JDK. We started Tomcat from the service. So far, in our
almost full day of testing starting yesterday afternoon, our server has not
crashed.

We had previously tried upgrading the JDK to version 1.4.1_02, but that did
not solve our server crashing problem.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the difference is between JDK 1.4.0
and 1.4.2_03 that would have caused Tomcat to crash in the old version and
not the new?

Thank you to David Ramsey for his help.

                      David Ramsey

                      <david_l_ramsey@y        To:       Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                      ahoo.com>                cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: Running Tomcat 4.1.2.7 from Service
vs DOS
                      01/13/2004 10:03

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Tomcat Users

                      List"

I don't know the reason but amongst other things to research are which
JVM you end up using in either scenario. It appears that the default
with Sun's JDK is that starting from a CMD.EXE prompt results in the
client JVM being selected by default, whereas starting as a service
uses the server JVM instead. Your issues may be related to this.

I also highly recommend you consider upgrading from JDK 1.4.0 to the
latest JDK, 1.4.2_03. There are numerous bug fixes between where you
are and where the JDK is today, as well as performance optimizations.