tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Milut" <mi...@mail.ru>
Subject virtual hosts (Tomcat vs Jetty)
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:51:58 GMT
Hello, all!

There is jboss-3.2.2RC4_jetty-4.2.11. There is a web app. Jetty lets to
create virtual hosts
"on-the-fly". Ex., in order to create a virtual host for this web app, I
have to add the following string to WEB-INF/jboss-web.xml

<virtual-host>www.some.host</virtual-host>

In order to change the name of the virtual host I have to change only
WEB-INF/jboss-web.xml:

<virtual-host>www.some.host1</virtual-host>

and I have to redeplay my web app. Everything is ok.

Now there is jboss-3.2.3 with jbossweb-tomcat41.sar. Now, in order to create
a virtual host for this web app, I have to add not only the corresponding
string to WEB-INF/jboss-web.xml, but also I need to add the following string
jboss\server\default\deploy\jbossweb-tomcat41.sar\META-INF\jboss-service.xml
:

<Host name="www.some.host"/>

To change the name of the virtual host it's not enough to simply change only
WEB-INF/jboss-web.xml, but I need to to change moreover
jboss\server\default\deploy\jbossweb-tomcat41.sar\META-INF\jboss-service.xml
. Thus, I can't change virtual hosts "on-the-fly".

My questions are: who is not right - Jetty or Tomcat? Or it's possible for
servers to do it in different ways to  (i.e. thare are different vendor
specific features)? Can I read somewhere in specifications how servers
should setup virtual hosts? Can you give me links where I can read how it
should be right?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Bye.