tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Oliver Braun" <oliver.br...@optibis.de>
Subject Jasper hangs for minutes
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:44:31 GMT

We have a problem with the Jasper JSP-engine.

We use Jasper within our own Servletcontainer to process calls to JSP-pages.
Most of the time the cooperation between our server and Jasper works fine,
but sometimes jasper hangs for minutes (!) while processing requests to
jsp-pages. Thereby the "original jsp-code" is still completely processed (we
print out a text to System.out at the beginning  and at the end at the
jsp-code), but jasper does not return to our server for the moment and the
clientbrowser runs into a timeout.
In our logfile we can see, that even if earlier calls to jasper hangs, all
further incomming requests to jsp-pages are still processed upto the end of
our jsp-code but not further. So with each further request, another
jasper-thread is started, wich stops after processing the jsp-code. That
results in e.g. 40 - 100 running threads.
But suddenly after some minutes all these running jasper-threads return at
the same time....
The whole behaviour looks like, that the jasper has to wait for a special
ressource to be released or that jasper locks a singleton (or something like
that) so that no other jasper-thread can do further processings.

Is there a known bug within jasper (e.g. with flushBuffer), or could the
problem relate to the network or to another systemresource?

The server runs under Windows 2000.
Java version is 1.4.1
We use jasper out of tomcat 3.3.1

Thank you and best regards