tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik" <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject RE: tomcat 5.0.16 Replication
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:42:04 GMT
my only experience with Redhat 9 is that it doesn't play well with NIO.
I have not successfully ran tomcat clustering on RH9, I use RH8.
I also don't have a RH9 machine at home yet, so I can't develop for it

Filip

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Nelson [mailto:Steve.Nelson@ided.state.ia.us]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 6:51 AM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: tomcat 5.0.16 Replication

I was having random problems with clustering when starting up. Mostly it had
to do with Timing out
when the manager was starting up. I built the CVS version and it solved that
problem. But it has caused
some serious performance problems.

First a little background.

I have 2 servers, dual 300mhz cpq proliants, both running Redhat - 9, Tomcat
5.0.16 (with catalina-cluster.jar build from cvs) The multicast packets are
restricted to a crossover link between the servers. There are 3 hosts in the
server.xml, all with clustering set up. They all function just fine.

But.....the cpu's spikes up to 100% if I start up both servers. I know this
didn't happen without the new catalina-cluster.jar. If I shut down 1 server
(doesn't matter which) everything returns to normal. But when both are
running both servers are at 100% CPU. I am trying to profile it now, but I
figured if someone has already experienced this they could save me some
time.

Oh, and there isn't anything relevant in my logs. It's not throwing millions
of errors or something.

-Steve Nelson