tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Shanta B <B.Sha...@siemens.com>
Subject design issue .....
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:26:04 GMT
Hi
   I have a requirement .....we have to develop  a webservice ....Following
is our requirement.

1)Client will send SOAP/HTTP request for imge(s).
2)We have(Service) to serve the corresponding image(s) through SOAP/HTTP.

Now the design issues...
------------------------

I have two types of solutions...

Type-1
-------
1)Storing images in  Database  as a BLOB.
2)Extract the images and send it over SOAP/HTTP

Type-2
-------
1) Store the images on the hard disk with a predefined path and format, and
store the reference (access path) in the Oracle   database.

2)Get the relative path and get image and send it over SOAP/HTTP.

could u please tell me which one is better interms of performance  and
scalability.We are using J2EE/J2SE/AXIS and Tomcat.

Thanks
Shanta.B