tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Kenny - CPX Mngd Services" <Mike.Ke...@Comparex.co.za>
Subject RE: how can I change a variable on the fly with shutting down tomcat
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2004 06:39:06 GMT
This is more of a question than an answer, but does java have anything like C's mmap()? Which
allowed you to map files into memory such that changes to either the file or the area in memory
updated the other. I know that this may be too OS specific to satisfy Java's platform independence,
but this posting got me thinking about it.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: tom ly [mailto:booshleeka123@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 9:55 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: how can I change a variable on the fly with shutting down
tomcat

I have a variable stored in memory which will be returned for certain xml-rpc requests in
tomcat/axis, it needs a initial value upon startup of tomcat.  But then I need to be able
to change this variable on the fly without shutting down tomcat and then have it be permanently
changed afterwards.  What can I do? I've though about using a text file.  But I want to read
from this text file once only during startup of tomcat, store the value in memory for fast
access but then be able to change the value in memory as well as the text file on the fly.
 What can i use to do this? or is there a better way?
Regards,
Tom Ly