tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Redeployment of War over and over Supported?
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:32:44 GMT

Howdy,

>We are running Tomcat 5.0.18 w/ jdk 1.4.2 on Linux.  We deploy our wars
>with the catalina deployer and ant.  We automate our builds and
>deployments for every 30 minutes.  So, every half an hour we build and
>deploy our war to tomcat.

Out of curiosity, why every half hour?

>This process seems to always force an OutOfMemoryException with Tomcat.
>~ Things work great for about half a day, but then always we're able to
>crash Tomcat.

So there's a memory leak somewhere.

>Is automated deployment over and over supported with Tomcat?  It's my
>assumption that if we're able to deploy a war to tomcat w/ the
deployer,
>then we should be able to deploy that war many times.

Your impression is correct.  Note that reloading an application may have
associated memory leaks.  For example, look for static references that
are not properly discarded on shutdown.  This and related issues have
been discussed many times on this list in the past: perhaps searching
the archives will yield more clues.

Yoav Shapira