tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Classloading issue: common/lib/servlet-api.jar
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:56:41 GMT

Howdy,

>ClassNotFoundException - class you explicitly asked for is not found
>NoClassDefFoundError - a class required by your class (through a new,
>e.g.) was available at compile time but cannot be found now.

I know what the errors mean, thanks ;)  The most common cause for the
latter is version skew: a class was found with the same name but not the
same interfaces as the class you had at compile-time.  For example, a
version of javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest from a servlet
specification 2.3 jar was found on a tomcat 5 classpath.

>I have no servlet jars other than the ones Tomcat 5.0.18 supplies.  I
do
>have jboss-j2ee.jar in my classpath, and the code will not compile
>without it: "javax\ejb\CreateException.class not found".  I moved the

Are you running tomcat standalone or JBoss with embedded tomcat?  Does
the jboss-j2ee.jar have the servlet classes in it?

Yoav Shapira