tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Unable to start web application
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:21:07 GMT

Howdy,

>We could say that a WAR file is nothing more that a standard zip file,
>(or a .jar) with all the files and directory structure of your webapp.

You can think of a WAR as either a distribution format to be unpacked at
the destination, or an executable format to be run directly by the
container.  Tomcat expands WARs by default largely because most
developers use bad design practices like getRealPath() and file creation
in the current working directory.  Tomcat can run packed WAR files, and
I for one always run that way as it provides another layer of
portability across containers.

>>INFO: standardHost.start /demo_02
>>15.01.2004 09:41:28 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
>>SCHWERWIEGEND: Error listenerStart
>>15.01.2004 09:41:28 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
>>SCHWERWIEGEND: Context startup failed due to previous errors
>>
>>Do I have to change anything to be able to run the application from
within
>a WAR file?

Are there any other errors in the log?  Does your webapp rely on
ServletContext#getRealPath somewhere in its initialization?  Are you
sure the WAR file is of the proper structure (do a jar tvf myApp.war to
verify)?

Yoav Shapira