tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Logging and Tomcat 5.0.16
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:11:12 GMT

Howdy,

>1) Is there a reason why the startup.sh script that comes bundled with
>Tomcat 5.0.16 adds commons-logging-api.jar to the CLASSPATH?  As far as
>I can tell, it's the only script that uses it.

Yes, there's a good reason: tomcat internals use commons-logging to do
their logging.

>2) Is there a recommended way to control what gets spewed into
>catalina.out?  The fact that all the messages I'm getting have an INFO
>tag would indicate that this should be possible.

Yes, add a commons-logging configuration file to common/classes, e.g. as
suggested in this link off the tomcat FAQ:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/misc.html#catalina.out

>3) In any case, why doesn't Tomcat just come with commons-logging.jar
>and log4j.jar bundled in /server/libs?

Tomcat does not want to tie you into a specific logging implementation,
e.g. log4j.  Tomcat wants to make its logging available to webapps by
default, so server/lib is not a possible location.

>4) Is there a FAQ or HOWTO on recommended approaches to handling
logging
>in Tomcat somewhere?

It won't hurt to search the archives of this list, there are many
answers there.  The link above also has some information.

Yoav Shapira